How to get evaluated for a wrestling scholarship
To begin you have to understand the only evaluation that even matters is from a college wrestling coach.
However, to make matters worse for you is having a recruiting service tell you they will evaluate you and refer you to wrestling colleges where they think you belong. STOP right here, think about this for a bit. Here are the problems with that kind of wrestling evaluation thinking.
1) What is the wrestling expertise / certification of the evaluator?
2) A good sales pitch to get you to talk to the recruiting service.
3) What if they rate you and pitch you to the wrong wrestling colleges? The colleges who wanted someone like you but still don't know you existed.
4) What if they lump you with other athletes to the same wrestling coach?
5) Do you really think a college wrestling coach will give a full ride scholarship to any athlete based upon a recommendation from a service sight unseen?
6) Point again, the only wrestling evaluation that even matters is from a college wrestling coach.
Another point, how will you or could you prove or disprove the recruiting service did anything? Maybe a good question to ask or quietly move away and chose another service.
Combines and camps is another debunked recruiting myth of college wrestling coaches evaluating athletes. They are needed to heighten the skills of athletes and to raise money for the college or organization putting them on or just to promote their shoes. Regardless, I sent my son to every one I could because they are great skill builders.
Beware, yes there may be wrestling coaches attending camps or combines or just helping (coaches have to learn as well or part of their job) but you are so limited on the real decision makers. The old saying "Don't put all your eggs in the same basket" comes to mind. You need to do more to help assure your wrestling success.
Compare, let's say your camp had 20 wrestling coaches looking at everyone at once compared to eScout4u's presenting you to thousands of wrestling coaches, staff and recruiters one on one (no one else included). Varies per sport, so Login to see how many we have for wrestling.
Ask, or challenge the next person that want to evaluate you with this question - "Who makes the final decision on wrestling scholarships, you or the collegewrestling coach?"
Bottom line: "Evaluation for wrestling" is a loosely tossed around. Evaluation is something you might believe will happen at a wrestling camp or combine or by a salesperson patting you on the back knowing all the long it is a good way to get you to spend money. You don't need to be patronized, you need a wrestling scholarship!!! College wrestling coaches and only college wrestling coaches will award scholarship, not a friend, referral, high school coach, club coach, combine event or recruiting service. The only evaluation that even matters is from a college wrestling coach.
eScout4u eliminates all the problems above and take you one on one with college wrestling coaches nationwide. Plus, you will have proof something was done. A claim no other recruiting service can make. Plus, Jan 2017 our success rate hit 98%. Login to see the details.
Think like a wrestling college coach™ topic! What would you do?
If you were a college coach you would look at every athlete that comes to you just because your job depends on your winning record. So you have to do your best to pick a winning team. To do so every athlete that send you something is a candidate. You would then put them through you evaluation procedures and rank them for your position planning board. Even if they don't make the board they may be a walk-on.
Athletes, cover all your bases, athletically and academically. Parents, you can be a big help now.
Again, print, share and discuss between parents and athlete! Use the information to plan your recruiting strategy.
If you disagree or have other facts then email us. Thanks
Action needed on your part
Just as your success came by learning every aspect of your sport, it is equally important you learn about the recruiting process to be successful! read more...
Back to articles.
More scholarship recruiting info:
- For NCAA, NAIA or NJCAA eligibility requirements and registration links click here.
- eScout4u has helped thousands of athletes.
- We have a 93% success rate. Click here, to see how others got their scholarships.
- Since 1979. Our innovative technology is poured into getting you noticed by college coaches.
- Create your free account and get started today!
- Avoid mistakes, learn what not to do in this College Scholarship Recruiting Guide, click here.
- Click here to open a athletic scholarship and recruiting guide (applies to all sports even though it is talks football) where we cover in depth; recruiting services, distribution, timing, numbers game, follow-up, the interview with a college football coach, summary and close.
eScout4u is an Evolution program Copyright © 2008 -2021 Evolution Inc. All Rights Reserved